Red Cargo Rice is definitely a star in this Red Cargo Rice and Brown Rice Salad – it has more texture than brown rice and adds a great colour. The presentation is beautiful enough to make it a holiday dish. It can be served warm as a colorful side dish or as a salad, when chilled.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup red cargo rice
- salt to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Soy Sauce Dressing
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1cm root ginger finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the soy sauce dressing, put all sauce ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake well to blend.
- Cook rice in boiling salted water for 40-45 minutes until soft. Rinse, drain well and cool. Place in a bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Toss thoroughly before serving. 10 minutes before going to serve, add the soy sauce dressing to the rice and veg and toss well, then serve.
Adapted from Allrecipes.au