The key to success to this simple dish (beside the freshest veggies) is the best chorizo you can find. I found vacuum-sealed Portuguese chorizo that was incredibly delicious. I also used serrano jambon for ham. There is a variety of ways to serve this: warm with poached egg over, pureed over sliced bread, a self-contained dish, or a side-dish.
|Manchegan Ratatouille. Pisto Manchego.|
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 C diced chorizo sausage
- 1/2 C diced ham
1 onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 med zucchini, diced
- 2 med ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chorizo and ham and cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Set aside.
2. Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and spoon occasionally, for 10 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini and tomato, mix well, cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
4. Add the chorizo and ham, and heat through for a few minutes. Server immediately with the croutons.
Adapted for 4 people from “1080 recetas de cocina” by S. Ortega