In the mean time, one of their all-season favourites is chili. It is hardly spicy and hardly hot with just enough of the chili and cumin powder aroma. The slow-cooker completes the simplification process and voila, you have something that’s simple, quick (prep time) and kid approved.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 white onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 800g can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 each green and yellow / red bell pepper, diced
- 500 ml / 19 oz red / pinto or kidney beans.
I really like a 6-bean mix that you can get at Loblaws or NoFrills
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat a skillet on med.-high heat and brown the beef, breaking up clumps, until no longer pink. Put in a slow cooker.
- In the empty skillet saute onions until transparent with a bit of oil. Add minced garlic, saute for 1 minute, add the spices. Fry to 30seconds, enough for the spices to release the aroma. Put in a slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, rinsed beans and peppers in the slow cooker. Mix the ingredients well.
- My slow cooker retains all original liquid, so I don’t add extra broth. If your slow cooker is the opposite, add broth.
- Cook for 5 hours on high or 9 hours on low.